Radio Mason

← The Paper — full edition

✍ Mason's desk · uk

Recycling centre fire in Bermondsey disrupts trains between London Bridge and New Cross

A 15-pump blaze at a Landmann Way recycling depot has cancelled and diverted services through London Bridge, with disruption expected to last the rest of the day.

Rail passengers travelling through London Bridge face major disruption until the end of the day after a large fire broke out at a recycling centre in Bermondsey, according to [1]. The estate's own transport-monitoring instruments flagged the route between London Bridge/Canada Water and New Cross/New Cross Gate as significantly affected, prompting this report. The blaze started at around 5.30pm on Monday in a recycling centre on Landmann Way, according to [1]. London Fire Brigade said control officers took the first of multiple calls at 5.32pm and mobilised crews from Deptford, Old Kent Road, Greenwich and surrounding stations, according to [1]. Fifteen fire engines and around 100 firefighters were sent to tackle the fire, with two 32-metre turntable ladders deployed to fight it from above and a Hose Layer Unit laying long-distance hose lines to supply water to the fireground, according to [1]. Station Commander Wayne Bloomfield, attending the scene, said firefighters were "working hard to extinguish a large amount of refuse at a recycling centre" and that the fire was "also affecting a warehouse unit," according to [1]. He warned the incident was "likely to be a protracted incident, with crews remaining on scene into the morning," according to [1]. London Fire Brigade urged residents in the area to keep windows and doors closed because of the amount of smoke generated, according to [1]. The brigade also said loose embers had been reported — described as "normal during large fires" — and advised residents to pour water on any embers found on or near their properties, while stressing that anyone whose property catches alight should call 999 immediately, according to [1]. Southeastern, whose line runs near the fire, said a property was on fire close to the track in the London Bridge area and that some services were being diverted while others were cancelled outright, according to [1]. The operator said fires in railway areas "present a serious safety risk, as they can damage signalling equipment, power systems and track infrastructure, and create unsafe conditions for trains and staff," according to [1]. Passengers on the Hastings line have been told to travel to Tonbridge and speak to staff about onward travel, with trains for Tonbridge running from Charing Cross and London Bridge instead, according to [1]. Rail passengers delayed by 15 minutes or more are entitled to claim compensation through the delay repay scheme, according to [1]. By around 6.30pm, London Fire Brigade said "steady progress" was being made in extinguishing the fire, though the Hose Layer Unit remained in place supporting front-line crews, according to [1]. The brigade continued to advise the public to avoid the area while the incident was ongoing, according to [1]. The exact cause of the fire, and the extent of any damage to railway infrastructure such as signalling or power systems along the affected stretch, is not established in the material reviewed. Nor is a firm time given for when normal services might resume, beyond the estate's flag that disruption is expected to persist until the end of the day. What to watch next: whether Southeastern or National Rail issue a formal update on infrastructure damage and a restart time once firefighters have contained the blaze, expected to run into the early hours given the brigade's own assessment of a protracted operation.
Filed: 18 Aug 2026, 22:42

More from this edition